Due to the current situation of a novel coronavirus pandemic, there are a lot of changes in things, lifestyles, and whatnot. It is very significant to keep our lives safe and secure by using sanitisers, disinfectants; and all safety precautions are to be taken. Nowadays, sanitisers and disinfectant sprays have become an integral part of our daily lives. But, not only these, in very recent times, a pulse oximeter has also been prominent to check the pulse rate whenever needed.
What is a Pulse Oximeter?
It is an electronic device that can check the heart rate and oxygen saturation that is present in the red blood cells. It is effortless to use, as what you need to do is, you need to insert your finger into the device, and within a few seconds, the result will be displayed on it. This device is primarily helpful for patients who are suffering from lung diseases.
Is it Mandatory to Have an Oximeter in Your Home?
Yes, it is good if you have an oximeter in your home. Most of the people are not aware of an oximeter before the coronavirus pandemic. Previously, this device was present only in homes who are having lung disease. But now, due to the situation of the coronavirus pandemic, the usage of oximeters has increased and become the most significant product these days. It is always a good option to have an oximeter in your medical kit to have immediate access. By having it accessible, you can check the pulse rate in your home whenever you have a doubt or feel worried about your health.
For What Reasons Do Doctors Use This Device?
This device is also very useful for doctors to do the regular checkups to the patients. Go through the below-mentioned points to have a clear idea.
- Doctors use the device to test how good a new lung medication is working.
- To check the breathing level
- To validate how well a ventilator is working
- To check if a person needs supplemental oxygen therapy
- To validate the result of additional oxygen therapy, if it is a new treatment.
- To test the patient’s ability and to control the physical activity
- To examine the oxygen levels during the surgical operation or after
- To check the person’s breathing level, if they suddenly stop breathing while sleeping
How to Use This Pulse Detecting Electronic Device?
Using this oximeter is not at all a complex task. It is as simple as easy. Follow the instructions which are mentioned below.
- Turn on the device and check for the batteries.
- You need to clip your finger in the device towards the nail facing up.
- The result will be displayed in a few seconds.
- The two results will be displayed, one is SpO2 which is your blood oxygen level, and the other is PR which is your pulse rate.
- Remember that oxygen level should be 95 and above, which is normal.
- You can, anyhow, consult your doctor for further advice.
- The device may not work if your hands are cold or your nails have nail polish or artificial nails.
- Keep your hands warm, remove your nail polish, or you can try with another finger.
- Generally, doctors suggest checking the oxygen level two times a day.
- Maintain a record of your oxygen levels so that it will help you to show your doctor.
A pulse oximeter has become the one mandatory device present in every home to check the oxygen level and pulse rate whenever needed. No one knows when the use of this device will come and how the situation will turn out. Suddenly, the situation may change and get worse, so to avoid the worst case, you need to purchase a pulse detecting oximeter.