A labor union is an organization established by law to benefit both employers and employees. Suppose the employee understands the principles and goals that need to be handled in parallel. In that case, employers must understand the bilateral system and accept and allow employees to understand and work together for mutual benefit in conflict prevention and resolution that can lead to a good relationship. In the end, a trade union is an organization of employees that is organized together.
However, the main functions of unions may be summarized as follows:
- Providing benefits to labor union members: Trade unions at this early stage It is similar to a Friendly Society, whose duty is to provide help to give union members confidence in layoffs, sickness, retirement, and funeral expenses. Which in many developed countries, such duties are the duties of the state. However, the preparation of vocational training Legal Consulting and the role in representing union members remains a vital interest of that union member.
- Building bargaining power: trade unions can operate openly. And it is recognized by the employer/employee group. Therefore, unions can negotiate with employers in terms of wages. And working conditions.
- Labor Actions: Trade unions may arrange strikes or anti-lockdowns. to drive certain goals
- Political Activity: Unions may demand legislation that is collectively beneficial to union members, employees, as follows: Unions may be organized by campaigning. Persuade members of Parliament to support legislation (lobbying) or provide financial support to any political party or independent candidates.
Start a labor union:
If you are thinking about how to start a union, you need to take the following steps:
Part 1: Getting Started
- Talk to your co-workers about unionizing.
- Find out if you can join a pre-existing union.
- Contact a union organizer.
Part 2: Organizing at Work
- Form an organizing committee.
- Gather information about the employees and workplace.
- Formulate an issues program.
- Prepare for anti-union tactics from your employer.
Part 3: Holding an Election
- Collect signatures.
- File an election petition.
- Vote in the election.
- Negotiate your first contract.
There are two types of labor unions.
- Workers’ unions of the same employer (House Union or Company Union) can apply for registration in which the same employer must employ all the promoters.
- Labor union of the same business type (Industrial Union) in which the promoter must be an employee of the employer who operates the same business regardless of how many employers.
The powers and duties of labor unions:
- Solicit, negotiate, enter into an agreement and acknowledge the award or enter into an agreement with the employer or the employers’ association in the member’s affairs.
- Manage and take action for members to benefit. Under the regulations of the union objectives
- Provide information services for members to contact about recruitment.
- Provide consulting services to solve problems or eliminate conflicts related to work management.
- Provide services related to the allocation of money or assets for the welfare of members. or the public benefit as the general meeting deems appropriate
- Collect membership fees and maintenance fees at the rates stipulated in the labor union regulations.
The relevance of the Ministry of Labor:
By helping the unemployed to find work Help employers get good quality people to work. Gather and disseminate news about work, job sources, and labor market conditions.
2. Career Guidance
Counseling to youth and people who wish to work to choose a suitable career path based on aptitudes, physical abilities, qualifications, personality, and suitability to economic needs.
3. Labor development
Promote skill development for workers and youth who do not have the opportunity to continue their education through intensive training.
4. Labor protection work
Establish principles and methods concerning working hours, holidays, as well as providing welfare.
5. Labor Relations
Promote and build a good relationship between employers and employees. Both parties understand the nature and condition of the problem and help eliminate misunderstandings and other conflicts.