We all love to carry out improvements to our living space and over a period of years, it is possible to transform a property, yet not all home improvement projects add significant value to a property. Some are considered to be superficial, with no structural merit, while others will see the value of the real estate rise considerably.
Here is our list of the top home improvement projects that will see the value of your home rise.
1. Bricks and Mortar Extension – Adding permanent living space to your home is perhaps the highest value home improvement there is! As you probably know, when real estate is valued, the square footage of actual living space defines the price and adding a two-storey extension will certainly see the price tag of your home soar. Of course, the additional structure should look like it belongs and the style is in keeping with the overall look of the property.
2. Stand Alone Modular Building – This is a popular choice and with the structure separated from the house, you can enjoy a degree of independence. One popular choice is the container home, made from old sea containers that are modified to the customer’s specifications and they can be designed for your needs.
3. Swimming Pool – The symbol of luxury living, installing a state-of-the-art pool will see the price tag of your home soar and your family will enjoy the millionaire lifestyle. A large pool is quite an investment and will take some maintaining, but the ability to take a dip anytime is hard to resist. This could be concrete or fibreglass, with the latter being cheaper and filtration, pumps and other cleaning equipment must be included and let’s not forget pool fencing and safety compliance.
4. Attic Conversion – When you consider the low cost of a loft conversion, this adds valuable living space rather like an extension, with the exception of not adding to the building lines. One advantage is you do not need planning permission as you are not altering the external building lines. The walls and roof are already in place and all you have to do is put down a floor, clad the sides and you have a spare bedroom, a study centre or even a home office. If you don’t have an attic and you need to more space, buy a larger property and have Movers 101 handle the relocation (they are interstate removal specialists).
5. Expanding Underground – As space becomes rarer, many homeowners are turning to their basement and by calling in a basement specialist, you can expand and even go down to a second level. Much like an extension, the extra living space in the basement is counted as square feet and makes a big difference the value.
6. Master Bedroom – The ensuite bathroom makes for a luxurious setting and with custom-built walk-in wardrobes, the look is complete. If you have the space, a jacuzzi is a great addition, but expect the kids to spend a lot of time in the tub! Once you have made your home as you like it, these projects will reap dividends should you ever decide to sell up and move on. Search online for a free property appraisal service and enquire about adding an ensuite bathroom to the master bedroom and you’ll find an extra few thousand dollars on the value.
7. Kitchen Revamp – Every home will benefit from a complete kitchen makeover, with premier appliances and customized cabinets, this is the busiest room in the house and the one that leaves a real impression. Spend $10k now and see what the same kitchen would cost 5, or 10 years down the line; likely to have doubled in cost. The kitchen should be well-designed and very functional and using premier materials ensures durability, it will remain a major feature of the real estate. Here are articles about cleaning surface If you want to know.
8. New Slate Roof – If you live in a period property, slate is the obvious choice and there are still traditional slate roofers who offer a full 3-year warranty on a new slate roof. If the internal timber structure is in good order, you only need to replace the roof tiles, which saves a lot of money. The roof is the most important component of the property and a new slate roof would certainly be reflected in the value and from the buyer’s perspective, that’s one less thing to have to do.
9. Electric Gates – There’s nothing to add character to a property like a set of automated entrance gates and there are no off-the-shelf solutions, rather the gates are fabricated to fit your driveway. Materials include a range of hardwood species, aluminum, stainless steel and wrought iron, or a combination, depending on the character of your home. This boosts security and is a major feature that would add considerable value to the real estate and if you would like to learn more about electric gates, search with Google for a US custom gate company and they would be happy to design and quote for the project.
10. Glass Conservatory – Double-glazed hermetically sealed units keep the interior warm in the winter and cool in the hot summer months and with state-of-the-art climate control, you can create an indoor tropical garden. This would radically alter the prices of the property, more so that a regular extension, as the glass structure has more appeal and it brings the garden into the home. Tinted glass is also an option to consider and adding a few extractor fans improves the airflow.
There are many benefits for the homeowner that is prepared to invest in improvements and over a period of ten years, you can really make a difference to the value of your home. We spend more time at home than anywhere else and by regularly carrying out improvements, we are raising the bar in the quality-of-life stakes, while also adding to our investment.