Uterine fibroids are the benign or the non-cancerous growth on the uterus’ walls. The fibroids have different sizes, shapes and locations in the uterus. Also, depending upon the severity of the condition, there are a few single fibroids or the clusters in the uterus. Recent studies show that around 40-50% women suffer from uterine fibroids at some point during their child bearing or reproductive age.
Though mostly benign, uterine fibroids are still problematic as they interfere with the functioning of the uterus and affect its strength. Uterine fibroids tend to cause discomforting symptoms such as pelvic pain, heavy bleeding, pain during sex, infertility issues, etc. Dealing with such symptoms can be quite stressful and frustrating in the long run. Hence, timely treatment is absolutely necessary otherwise uterine fibroids can cause severe complications
Some of the complications of uterine fibroids are:
- Infection and inflammation in the abdomen
- Higher chances of miscarriage
- Uterine prolapse
But these complications arise in the prolonged and severe cases, so it is possible to avoid these by getting an effective treatment.
Different ways to get rid of uterine fibroids are as follows:
Lifestyle and dietary tips for fast symptomatic relief
- Switch to a healthy and fiber-rich diet. Fibers present in fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and nuts. Dietary fibers expel the toxins and excess estrogen out of the body and thus prevent the fibroids from growing bigger.
- Green tea is packed with flavonoids and antioxidants that help keep the uterus healthy and also shrink fibroids significantly. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties of green tea can be a great way to relieve the symptoms of uterine fibroids as well.
- A healthy and active lifestyle is the key to a healthy body. Exercise regularly and also indulge in practicing yoga. This will not just maintain the balance of hormonal levels, but also keep your bodyweight and blood pressure in check along with the stress. Thus, an active lifestyle can go a long way in preventing the formation of new fibroids on the uterus.
- Alcohol and smoking can worsen the symptoms of uterine fibroids. Therefore, if you are dealing with fibroids, it is best to stay away from these as much as possible. Cut back on your alcohol consumption, and if you are a smoker, quit this habit gradually. And, within a few weeks only, you will experience a whole world of difference in your overall health.
Medicines for shrinking uterine fibroids
The best Ayurvedic Medicines for uterine fibroids are:
- Kaishore Guggulu
- Shudh Guggulu
- Haridra Khanda
The most commonly prescribed homeopathic remedies for uterine fibroids include:
- Fraxinus Americana
- Thlaspi Bursa Pastoris
- Ustilago Maydis
- Sabina Officinalis
- Trillium Pendulum
- Ferrum Met
Ayurvedic and Homeopathic medicines have natural ingredients and are safe to use. These medicines provide symptomatic relief from uterine fibroids. They relieve the pain, discomfort and menstrual symptoms of uterine fibroids in the mild cases.
Apart from Ayurvedic and Homeopathic remedies, allopathy also offers a wide variety of uterine fibroid medicines.
Doctors prescribe the following classes of allopathic medicines for relief from uterine fibroids:
- Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Agonists (GnRH Agonists)- For shrinking the fibroids by inducing a menopause like state.
- Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs)- Shrink the fibroids without any menopause-like state.
- Tranexamic Acid- Relieve the heavy menstrual bleeding due to fibroids.
- Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)- Provide relief from the severe pain of uterine fibroids.
Medicines for uterine fibroids are certainly effective, but they may not be of much help for large and clustered fibroids. In such cases, it is better to consider the surgical treatment for permanent riddance from uterine fibroids.
Surgical treatment to ensure complete relief
Surgery is the preferred treatment option in cases where the condition of uterine fibroid is severe and all the other treatment options fail to provide significant relief. The two most widely performed uterine fibroid surgeries these days are:
- Laparoscopic Myomectomy– In laparoscopic myomectomy, the surgeon uses a laparoscopic device to remove the fibroids from the uterus, leaving the uterus as it is. It is an effective surgery, however, there remains some chances that the fibroids may recur.
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomy– Laparoscopic hysterectomy is the best treatment procedure for recurrent and multiple fibroids that are extremely painful to live with. In this surgery, the surgeon removes the fibroids and also a part of or the complete uterus (depending upon the condition). This helps prevent the recurrence of fibroids in the future.
Benefits of laparoscopic surgery
- No big cuts, and deep wounds left behind to heal
- Painless procedure
- Takes much lesser time than the open surgery to remove uterus
- Highly precise and successful
- Short recovery span
- Nil rate of postoperative complications
These modern surgeries are now available easily at various hospitals across the country. One such healthcare provider that has been gaining preference for these laparoscopic treatments of uterine fibroids is Pristyn Care. It is a multispeciality clinic chain spread across many different cities in India, especially all the Metro cities. They work in association with well-reputed and highly-equipped hospitals where the laparoscopic surgery is carried out by their trained surgeons.
So if you are struggling with the troubles of uterine fibroids, you can get in touch with a Pristyn Care specialist near your place. All you need to do is book your appointment online and their team will guide you through the entire treatment procedure.
Uterine fibroids cause early warning signs and it is crucial to notice and attend them in time. Get in touch with an experienced gynecologist as and when you suspect to be dealing with uterine fibroids. Being mindful and proactive towards your reproductive health will protect you from worse complications. And, clearly there is no point in suffering the pain and misery when you have the option of undergoing the modern treatments to get rid of fibroids in just one day.